People will ask you why you don’t drink or just say stupid things to you about not drinking. You aren’t to blame for your loved one’s drinking problem and you can’t make them change. The person with the drinking problem needs to take responsibility for their actions. Don’t lie or cover things up to protect someone from the consequences of their drinking. Repeat on each part of your body that’s experiencing the craving. You’ll likely notice that after a few minutes the craving has gone. The purpose of urge surfing is not to make cravings disappear, but to experience them in a new way.
These treatment programs usually meet at the hospital for 3-5 days a week, 4-6 hours per day. Some people are able to stop drinking on their own or with the help of a 12-step program or other support group . Others need medical supervision in order to withdraw from alcohol safely and comfortably. Which option is best for you depends on how much you’ve been drinking, how long you’ve had a problem, the stability of your living situation, and other health issues you may have.
Tips for Staying Sober Around Drinkers
Along with asking if it’s okay to drink in front of your sober friends, it’s also essential to understand whether they are in early or long-term recovery. This used to bother me—it made me feel alone and different. But the reality is, most people drink in a social setting.
For those of us that have struggled with alcohol addiction, many of the real challenges in recovery come after we have completed a treatment program. For many people whose lives once revolved around drinking, it can be difficult to avoid every social, and sometimes professional, event that involves alcohol.
How to Stay Sober in Early Recovery
Lean on close friends and family – Having the support of friends and family members is an invaluable asset in recovery. If you’re reluctant to turn to your loved ones because you’ve let them down before, consider going to couples counseling https://ecosoberhouse.com/ or family therapy. Support can come from family members, friends, counselors, other recovering alcoholics, your healthcare providers, and people from your faith community. Do you want to stop drinking altogether or just cut back?
- Again, if you do not feel ready or comfortable being around some of those triggers right now, then reconsider going or only going if you can bring a good sober friend with you.
- There will be people who don’t want to date you because you’re sober.
- When we aren’t posting here, we build programs to help people quit drinking.
- Complete sobriety isn’t a bad goal, of course, but it doesn’t have to be the only one.
- In addition to guidance and support, some of the apps also can help you get immediate help from your network or find a ride to a support group meeting.
And you may even find that they appreciate you more or respect your decisions. Being sober doesn’t have to mean giving up your social life, yet being sober around drinkers managing sobriety in a social setting can be a bit of a challenge. You may have a lot of concerns about going out after quitting drinking.
Want some extra support for the holidays?
Remind yourself of the adverse long-term effects of heavy drinking and how it won’t really make you feel better, even in the short term. Therapy can help you identify the root causes of your alcohol use, repair your relationships, and learn healthier coping skills and how to deal with triggers that could cause you to relapse. It’s much easier to avoid drinking if you don’t keep temptations around. Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking or respect the limits you’ve set. This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.
- Early recovery means that the individual has just entered treatment or recently completed a treatment program.
- While there was very little good to come out of the COVID-19 pandemic, the increasing use and acceptance of telemedicine may be the exception.
- Peer pressure surrounding drinking and sobriety can be intense.
- Try to choose something other than water so that you feel like you are having a treat.
- Any alcohol addiction treatment program should be customized to your unique problems and situation.
- When it comes to transitional housing, residents are housed with several other sober individuals and are provided with 24-hour support from sober staff members that live in the house as well.
Most individuals in recovery will appreciate your consideration, but there is a line between asking politely and confronting your loved one. Try to ask your question in a direct but casual manner.
Prozac and Alcohol: Why Drinking and SSRIs Are a Dangerous Combination
It will hurt , but in time you will come to see it as the gift it is—and you won’t waste time getting to know the wrong person. When I was drinking, it never occurred to me that I was an introvert. I would have classified myself as someone who loved to be around people and go out with them at night. Thinking back to before I was sober, I usually had to drink to be around people.